Millions of people all over the world follow both national and international football matches. But when it comes to football, there is only one organization that every football fan has in their heart: the World Cup. Organized once every four years, this organization is the most anticipated and followed sports organization by football fans. Each time, the tournament features unparalleled rivalries, glorious victories and devastating defeats between players and fans alike. And amazing situations and moments! Here are 20 surprising facts about the pinnacle of professional football, the most popular sports organization in history…
The 1st World Cup is held every four years
This unique sports organization was first organized in 1930. So this big tournament has happened 21 times so far. Qatar will host the 22nd tournament next November and December.
2. Originally called the “Jules Rimet Cup”
The name came from FIFA President Jules Rimet, who came up with the idea for the World Cup in 1929.
3. Host Uruguay won the first tournament in 1930
Uruguay, which managed to beat its arch-rival Argentina with a score of 4-2 in the final match, became the winner of the first trophy.
4. Almost half of the world’s population follows the tournament
The tournament held in Brazil in 2014 was followed by 3.2 billion people. More than 3.5 billion people watched the tournament in 2018.
5. The World Cup in 2002 was the first event held in two different countries
The tournament was held in South Korea and Japan.
6. The country with the most World Cup wins is Brazil
There are 5 World Cups in the museum of “Samba players”.
7. Germany and Italy, the other teams that have won the most trophies
The number of tournaments won by both countries is 4.
Essam El Hadary, the oldest player to play in the 8th World Cup
The Egyptian goalkeeper took the field at the age of 45 at the tournament in Russia in 2018. In addition, Hadary, who saved the penalty kick of Saudi Arabian Fahad Al Muwallad in the last match of the tournament, became the oldest goalkeeper to save a penalty in the tournament history.
The oldest player to score a goal in the 9th World Cup is Cameroonian Roger Milla.
Milla became the owner of this title by scoring against Russia in the tournament held in the United States in 1994.
10. Turkey scored the earliest goal in the history of the tournament
Faced with South Korea in the 2002 World Cup, Turkey succeeded in scoring only 10.89 seconds after the kick-off😍
11. Highest scoring match was between Austria and Switzerland
The two countries that faced each other at the World Cup held in Switzerland in 1954 ended with a 7-5 victory in Austria.
12. The trophy of the organization in 1966 was stolen before the start of the tournament
The trophy was not found for 7 days. At the end of the 7th day, the World Cup was found by a dog named Pickles.
13. Mexico is the most losing team in World Cup history
The North American country has lost 25 matches since the start of the organization. The team with the most draws in World Cup history is Italy with 21 draws.
Brazil won the most matches in the 14th World Cup with 70 wins
In addition, the Brazilian national team is the team that has won the most matches in a World Cup. Sambacılar managed to defeat all their opponents in the tournament in 2002 and reached the cup at the end of 7 matches.
15. There are only two teams that have won the Cup twice in a row: Brazil and Italy.
The country with the fewest appearances in the 16th World Cup is Indonesia
Indonesia managed to participate only in the tournament held in 1938.
17. In 2026, the number of teams participating in the tournament will increase from 32 to 48
18. Oleg Salenko, the player to score the most goals in a World Cup match
The Russian football player left 5 goals in the Cameroon nets in the 1994 World Cup.
19. Argentina is the team with the most red and yellow cards in World Cup history
20. German football player Miroslav Klose is the top scorer in tournament history with 16 goals
You may be interested in:
2022 World Cup in Qatar! How will the stadiums in the middle of the desert climate be cooled?