E-commerce encompasses all commercial and financial transactions carried out on the Internet. The demand for online shopping has grown steadily since the number of Internet users reached several billion. However, the main catalyst was the pandemic process we were in. When the world was “locked down”, e-commerce acted as a salvation for businesses and consumers. According to forecasts, the turnover of e-commerce transactions will rise to 6.5 trillion dollars by 2023. However, with profits, competition also grows. Consider what trends need to be followed in 2022 to attract new customers and ensure financial growth.
The number of purchases made from mobile devices will exceed the total volume of online transactions by the end of 2021. 70% of can pass. It is worth remembering that this share barely exceeded 50% 5 years ago. Keep in mind that this is not the upper limit. The share will increase significantly as Gen Z agents become full-fledged customers.
It is worth preparing for this in advance. It’s not enough just to make the online store’s website mobile-friendly. This trend is already outdated. Create a “perfect” shopping experience. For example, imagine customers choosing products with their smartphones on the way home from work. Upon arriving home, they open their laptops and order the selected products in just a few clicks, without unnecessary searches and wasted time.
This example is something to work on. So what needs to be done:
• check how fast and correctly the site loads on mobile devices with different screens;
• make the selection and purchasing processes as simple and straightforward as possible;
• ensure that mobile device users do not lose functionality at any stage (search, sort, compare, order, pay, etc.);
• develop a mobile app – an even better option.
Developing your own application for a commercial project is a progressive solution. It loads fast, provides full access to functions and can work without Internet (to show cached goods, features, etc.).
The struggle for customers is forcing e-commerce projects to offer products and services on all possible platforms. Modern customers decide whether to place orders on a website, social networks or through a messenger. The task of the business is to ensure its presence in all channels used by the target audience.
Yes, this will incur extra costs. At the very least, you will need to hire staff to watch channels, work with content, and communicate. In addition, it will increase the chances of better sales. Omnichannel technology allows you to combine communication channels with consumers in a single system.
Let’s try to convey how this can be seen with an example:
• the customer searches for the product they need. Sees the site’s contextual advertisement, shows interest and fills out a feedback form;
• the site representative communicates with the customer via WhatsApp, discusses the details and sends detailed information about the product;
• a potential customer is interested in reviews about the company. He finds several blog posts and social media posts where experts talk positively about the brand and company products;
• the customer wants to see the product “live”. The company official invites him to the company’s showroom;
• After the showroom visit, the customer enters his order and makes the payment.
This is an example of traditional flow. The customer’s journey may be shorter and less diverse. But the gist of it is that the company checks all potential channels and directs the customer to one right solution. To manage channels, it is recommended to use special CRMs: they not only facilitate communication, but also collect statistical data.
A modern customer today trusts well-known manufacturers, resellers, ie well-known companies. This trend has been going on for several years. In an increasingly competitive environment, business identity has become even more important. This identity is also important for efforts to increase target audience loyalty.
Brand building is a comprehensive strategy. It includes positioning selection, audience research, name creation, visual identity and slogan creation. By the way, if you need a slogan logaster You can create it in a few minutes.
Brand is trust. To deserve this, you need to communicate effectively, follow and respond to the needs of your target audience, work to solve problems, and take part in global social projects.
Taking into account the characteristics of modern followers, a brand in the Internet world is primarily with its visual features You should immediately understand that it attracts attention. It’s not just about the logo, it’s also about the presentation of the products. Using interactive videos or augmented reality instead of static photos to present your products will help you attract customers and keep them loyal to your brand.
To please the modern user, you need a personalized approach. While shopping methods and tools have changed, customers still expect a courteous salesperson to assist, make suggestions, and convince them that their purchasing decision is the right one. 78% of consumers prefer to shop where they are understood and appreciated.
So how can you achieve this in an online environment? A modern e-commerce site needs to have a set of basic customization tools to tailor the customer experience. If your site is missing them, it’s time to change the platform or develop a new site. These tools include:
• product recommendations;
• automatic tracking of customer characteristics (for example, if they initially chose menswear, they will not have to choose it again at the next visit);
• saving properties (eg selected clothing sizes, car brands, etc.);
• personalization of searches (based on data from the customer);
• emails with incomplete purchase reminders;
• posters featuring the products in question;
• banners offering discounts on displayed products, etc.;
• coupons and discounts for products purchased regularly by the customer;
• product personalization (creation of customized kits and other options for specific needs).
Personalization ideas may vary by business and target audience. The important thing is to examine your niche thoroughly and offer what your customers need.
User Experience Improvement
The site should be simple and understandable. After reaching this point, the number of successful orders will increase. This is an indisputable fact, but how should it be applied? Achieving optimum UX (user experience) requires global work. This work affects the following areas:
1. Navigation. Convenient design and user interface of the main page of the site, clear division into categories and subcategories, logical menu structure.
2. Site search. Various search queries (including product name, number, product specifications and typos), auto-complete and hints, support for redirecting to specific pages when nothing is found.
3. Filtering. The appearance and usability of the catalog, the data in the preview of the displayed products, the filtering logic, the ability to compare features in the preview, etc.
4. Product page. Convenient interface, clear structure, high-quality visual content, full description, availability of basic data (features, payment and delivery, discounts, etc.), convenient location of the “Add to cart” button and the possibility of purchasing without registration.
5. Ordering. An easy process followed from cart to payment. Minimum space to be filled, automatic login for registration, cart saving to be able to order later, secure data transfer, selection of different payment and delivery methods.
Replacing the call center with voice assistants is a convenient and cost-effective option. Since most of the scenarios can be written for robotic assistants, you can significantly optimize the staffing of live operators. With developments in modern artificial intelligence technologies, it seems quite possible in the foreseeable future to use full-fledged voice assistants that perform no worse than their live examples.
At this stage, voice assistants can be assigned to:
• technical support on the most common issues;
• product offerings;
• conducting surveys;
• cross selling.
Robots can answer calls and make calls on their own, present products and pose questions to customers. In the case of technical support, it is necessary to provide the possibility of switching to a live operator. Otherwise, the customer who does not receive a quality answer will leave.
Virtual and augmented reality
According to ABI Research analysts, by 2022, more than 120,000 online stores will use AR to capture customers’ attention and improve their user experience. There are companies that have already successfully implemented such technologies.
For example, in the spring Amazon opened a hair salon where you can try a hairstyle or a new hair color through AR. There are also stores that offer to evaluate how the purchased furniture will look in the interior. Another idea in this area can be considered as an opportunity to check whether large appliances will fit in the space prepared for them. This is a promising niche and many valuable ideas can be applied here.
The 2022 e-commerce trends are tightly coupled with improved user experience and increased brand loyalty. Today’s businesses need to implement end-to-end solutions to take full advantage of the growth in online sales.